Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cream of wild rice soup


My version of a traditional Minnesota soup.


I don't have a recipe for this I just put it together with some basic ingredients and it more or less turns out the same every time. So, any measurements I give here will be a guess as to how much I put in. Have fun.

Cook 1 cup Wild rice with 4 cups water.
Fry around 6 strips of bacon, set aside.
In some of the bacon grease, saute an onion and 4 stalks of celery, minced.
In a small sauce pan make a white sauce with 3T butter, 2T flour, 1/2 c milk, salt and pepper and a few diced mushrooms. Or use a can of cream of mushroom soup.
Combine the cooked rice, onion and celery, 8 oz of sliced mushrooms, white sauce, and a quart of chicken broth, 3T sage, 3T soy sauce, and cooked julienned carrots.
Let simmer.
Just before serving add about a cup of heavy cream, the bacon (minced), and slivered almonds if you like.

I think that is all. Modify it as much as you please.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I really need to buy some wild rice! That sounds so yummy! Your new blog look is nice.

Keren Ruth said...

That sounds really yummy. I have been hungry for wild rice.

Pei-Lin said...

Martha! I miss wild rice soup! The last time I made wild rice hotdish was like back in June or July ... Don't remember ... with the wild rice I brought back from MN!

Btw, I won a national contest recently and my entries were published in the nation's paper. (It was co-organized by Tupperware.) But, the editorial team had edited and shortened my write-up. I'll publish the unabridged version next week. You guys back in the States were a major source of inspiration in my write-up and the dishes I chose to cook to participate in that! Hope you get to read it.

Take care! Missing you guys a lot! I hope I'll get to fly to the States someday and visit with you guys! For now, let me save up my money first.

Bonnie Williams said...

Keren made wild rice soup for supper on Saturday night. It turned out so good. We took it to church for potluck on Sunday, too, and then finished it up last night! :) She made a big batch!